Thank you for supporting the LIFT OFF
Managed Security Services Conference
Wednesday, January 11, 2017
Four Seasons Hotel
60 Yorkville Ave
Herjavec Group partnered with Splunk and AWS to create this unique, managed security services centric event for the greater cybersecurity community. Security experts from around the world united in Toronto, Canada on January 11, 2017 to network, to learn and to collaborate.
Key themes and topics of discussion centered on:
- Preparedness – in terms of documentation, process, escalation path
- Visibility – in terms of understanding device scope, gaps in data, gaps in classification
- The growing risks presented by IoT devices
- The importance of having an incident response plan & service partner
- The value of communication and partnership between technology & service providers
At LIFT OFF, we heard phenomenal keynotes from:
- Senior Security Partner Strategist at Amazon Web Services, Timothy Sandage
- Deputy Under Secretary for Cybersecurity National Protection and Programs Directorate Department of Homeland Security, Dr. Phyllis A. Schneck
- Splunk SVP of Security Market, Haiyan Song
- Herjavec Group Founder & CEO, Robert Herjavec
A very special thank you to US Fighter Pilot, Brian Udell, who motivated and inspired our audience with his harrowing story of surviving ejection at Mach 1 speeds. He set the tone for a day dedicated to leveraging the power of data analytics and truly emphasized the importance of trusting your partners.
We also gained valuable knowledge from our customer Q&A sessions. David Hahn (CISO, Hearst), and Scott Howitt (SVP & CISO, MGM Resorts International) shared their unique perspectives on the cybersecurity industry and outlined their approaches to managed security services during fireside chats with Robert Herjavec.
Attendees took part in two breakout sessions over the course of the day.
Breakout 1: IoT and Managed Security Services
This session started with a presentation from Toni Buhrke who emphasized the growing risks presented by IoT devices. She relayed the importance of continuously auditing what is connected to your corporate network and provided recommendations to limit and contain risk. Her presentation was followed by Herjavec Group’s Nathan Sherlock who outlined how an organization can become operationally ready to work with a Managed Security Services Provider. Nathan highlighted the importance of SIEM and provided a behind the scenes perspective on the roles and responsibilities within an MSSP.
- Transforming IoT Security Through Visibility – presented by ForeScout Director of Systems Engineering, Toni Buhrke
- Behind the Scenes of an MSSP – presented by VP of Managed Services, Herjavec Group, Nathan Sherlock
Breakout 2: Ransomware Case Study and Incident Response Overview
This session started with a case study presentation by Intel’s Ismael Valenzuela who outlined how we can pre-empt, contain and mitigate ransomware attacks. Matt Anthony, Herjavec Group’s VP of Incident Response, followed this with an overview of what the first 24 hours of an incident are really like. Matt shared the questions to be addressed when a breach occurs and discussed how organizations can take a more proactive approach to incident response.
- “I survived a ransomware attack in my cloud!”- presented by Intel Security Global Director of Foundstone Incident Response, Ismael Valenzuela
- Incident Response – what the first 24 hours are really like! – presented by Herjavec Group VP Incident Response, Matt Anthony
This event would not have been possible without the generous support of our partner community. Thank you to all who supported LIFT OFF 2017!
Official Lift Off Research Partner
Cybersecurity Ventures predicts global annual cybercrime costs will grow from $3 trillion in 2015 to $6 trillion annually by 2021. Hackerpocalypse.com
Following Lift Off, Herjavec Group published a report of the top
“Cybersecurity Conversations for the C-Suite in 2017”.
Cybersecurity Conversations for the C-Suite in 2017
We recognize that the security landscape for 2017 will be faster-growing and more complicated than ever before. In Cybersecurity Conversations For The C-Suite in 2017, allow Herjavec Group to break through the clutter and focus your attention on the top cybersecurity related questions all C-level executives should be asking this year including:
- How can we leverage Threat Hunting to alleviate the pressures of IoT?
- Are we maximizing our use of Big Data Analytics?
- How will the changing governance measures affect us in 2017?
- Are we confident in the access controls guiding our IAM practice?
- How can we protect ourselves from the rise in ransomware?
- How could we benefit from a partnership with an MSSP?